Chapter 10: The Major's Cabin
- What came first - the chicken or the "idea" chicken?
- according to Plato, "idea" chicken existed in world of ideas long before the chickens in the sensory world.
- the soul had "seen" the "idea" chicken before living in the body
- Are we born with innate ideas?
- it is unlikely that baby would have ideas, but this can't be proved because babies can't talk
- What is the difference between a plant, an animal, and a human?
- plants grow and reproduce
- animals grow, reproduce and move
- humans grow, reproduce, move and think
- animals think, but not deeply or philosophically
- Why does it rain?
- evaparation -> condensation -> rain
- purpose: for plants and animals
- What does it take to live a good life?
- the basics: shelter, food, warmth, love, etc
- answers to certain philosophical questions
- a job you like to do